Thursday, March 01, 2007

My 150th Blog...

Yep, this is my 150th blog and I have been waiting to write it for awhile but I had to wait because Alex didn't want to tell everyone yet. That was too hard though because it was the first thing that everybody would ask me when they talked to me and I couldn't lie and now everyone knows; so here is my story.

We didn't really have any idea when I was due because I wasn't back to normal yet, so at the first appointment my midwife said that we would do an ultrasound to find out how far along I was. So I go to the front to pay and set my next appointment. (Picture about six receptionists at computers and then a lobby full of other patients that are all within earshot.)

The woman that I was talking to had a voice that carried very well, this I noticed BEFORE this conversation took place while I was wating in the waiting room and could hear everything that she would say, so I'm not making it up.

She says, "She wants the first available appointment."

I say, "Okay."

"Does this Friday work for you?"

"Anytime after 10."

"We have one with Dr. ANDREW Shimer." (she emphasized the first name very obviously)

"That's fine."

"He's a man."

"That's fine."

"It's an inner vaginal ultrasound." (again emphasising)

"I understand and it's fine with me."

"That means he sticks it up your vagina."

With each passing comment she seemed to get louder, but that may have been my imagination, at this point I was speechless and I just looked at her. After a moment I very clearly said "That is fine."

She got offended and said, "Just making sure" and didn't say anything else. I didn't mean to offend her but I just didn't know how much further she was going to go.

Apparently there have been some problems in the past. I'm so glad that she avoided an embarrassing situation for me by taking the time to explain what would be happening to the entire office. I left receiving what I hope were encouraging smiles and pitying glances, and wishing that I could say the sarcastic things that I wanted to say to her. I'm not very far along, but they said the little blob was doing good and should come and play around October 10th.

3 comments:

Adam Knighton said...

I would say something very discretely here, but I seem to be having some difficulty controlling the volume of my voice!

So, congrats on the good news, and give the big Alex a big High-five from me. Okay, and the little Alex needs a big brother High-five too.

Keary said...

I thought Alex was impotent! You should have told the receptionist that so everyone in Texas would know.
I'm so excited for you guys and I hope that you get a sweet girl for alex to learn some manners with. Not really I know he already has manners from what I saw when I was there.

homealonemom said...

YEAH, it's BABY TIME!!!!