Sunday, January 29, 2006
I HATE Dictionaries.
Dictionaries are pointless if they are used to look up a spelling, as far as I can tell. Why? Because you have to know how to spell the word to look it up. I knew this for sure when I was in fifth grade with a teacher who refused to give even clues on what letters words started with, he said that we would feel and be smarter if we figured it out for ourselves. After looking for what seemed like hours through the dictionary I finally had to give up and start my fairy tale off with "Long ago..." instead of "Once upon a time..." because once was nowhere to be found in the "W" section of the dictionary, even though it sounds like it starts with a "W" and not an "O". I think the same about speelcheckers too; I spent most of my cmoputer life not even knowing that the computer gave you suggestions for words you might mean because I never got close enough to get any sugestions, they would just tell me that my word wasn't a word.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
And what is a thesaurus for if you have not a clue how to use it. The teacher I had would always say use the thesaurus when she wanted us to be more flowery in our speach. I definitely agree with you about the dictionary and the spell checker.
Post a Comment