I had quite a busy day yesterday. The story doesn't take place during the day so without getting into too much detail I'll say the morning consisted of running errands; various stores, the post office, the library, the bank - how I put so much stuff off I have no idea. Then we came home for a nap (for alex), unloading and straight to the church to decorate. After another trip to the store I came home made gobs of salsa, showered and dressed everyone (Chio, alex and I in 30 minuets) and went back to the church.
Now for the story, after clean up at the church was over I came home and it was way past dark. I pulled into the driveway and the front door was wide open. With two screaming kids in the back seat (yes, I had pushed the poor things way past exhaustion - "bad mom, no more") I deliberated for a long time before I saw the mail box lid had been left open when I knew I left it shut; I decided I would play it safe and I went a friends house a couple blocks over to get a brave man to check out my house.
Here is where the frantic day and getting ready comes in to play. My house was not clean: I had thrown a load of laundry from the dryer on the couch so I could put alex's sheets in the dryer; dumped a basket of dirty laundry on the other couch so I could use the basket (all the unfolded laundry in my entire house was in the living area); all the dirty salsa dishes were in the kitchen sink; the kids toys were wherever they put them while I was making the salsa; I had the clothes and dressing stuff (lotion, diapers, towels, etcetera, I had laid out for rapid dressing) strewn on Chio's floor; all this was coupled with the middle stages of unpacking a house. So not only was I embarrassed because I had to go and get some one to check out my house, I was doubly embarrassed to have him look through my mess.
You've probably figured out by now that no one was really in my house or I wouldn't have been talking about all this other stuff. When Alex called to say good night I told him what happened and found out he was the one that came home and moved little things around, unlocked various doors (and left others open), but didn't take anything or wait to accost us. He was showing the house to his partner. And while I am overly cautious (thereby frequently locking us out of things) Alex definitely is my counterpart which is why we go so well together!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I would have peed my pants if I came home and my front door was open! I guess this gives new meaning to wearing clean underwear. -Don't leave your clean or dirty underwear out!
Hi, hon, I would have been scared too.
Do you remember when aunt cathy called the police on daddy,because she thought he was a prowler?
At least Alex wasn't arrested.
Love ya
MOM
If I left our doors open I am pretty sure Nate would Kill me. I am so glad that you were safe. I hope Alex starts to lock the doors more often.
Fun story. I think Alex follows in my footsteps. I don't care if the house is dirty or if I leave my keys in the door.
I remember President Spencer W. Kimball told us missionaries that he would rather a thief commit onlu one crime of theft and not have to make it worse by breaking and entering. Until recently I never locked anything.
Love Dad
In our new house, there is this stupid front door that doesn't lacth correctly. Oftentimes I lock it, close it, and a few minutes later I go by the door and it is slightly open (from the wind... or a ghost, who knows :P ), but it always freaks me out and makes me look around the house. I've learned to do a 'lock test' after I lock it. I turn the handle, jiggle it, pull it, turn it again, to make sure it is latched. Grr. We are replacing it soon hopefully.
Post a Comment