Sunday, November 30, 2008

Pride was my downfall...

On Thanksgiving day I accomplished a lot: all the laundry, all the dishes, all the windows, toilets, and floors. Then I started my kids playing with blocks in the living room while I set to work on the pie (my only responsibility for Thanksgiving day dinner). As many of you know I love to bake. Usually, I have my kids help me in the kitchen but that inevitable leads to more hand washing and messing up my clean kitchen than I was prepared to deal with so I left them to themselves. I would go in and check on them periodically and change toys but when it cam time to roll out the dough I grew overly complacent. My dough turned out beautifully; I even rolled it into a perfect circle, which I easily folded and settled into the pie plate with no sticking. My kids still weren't fighting so I finished off the pie and got it into the oven I even thought, "Wow, I'm such a great mom, I wonder why everyday isn't like this." Then reality hit. I hadn't noticed that it was too quiet, then I went into the living room and this is what I found.




The pictures don't really do it justice. This was a sharpie and he got every wall in the living room, his sister, himself, and (as much as I'm embarrassed to admit it) some of the surfaces of the room I was working in.

And, Thanks Alex! If this would have happened while you were home I would have been furious (as you've experienced many times) with endless comments with words like: chess, neglect, couch.... He just came home laughed and started cleaning it up. I'm so spoiled, I love you!

Note: Sadly enough, despite multiple face washings and baths before we went to the fire station for dinner the kids faces didn't come compeltly clean.

9 comments:

homealonemom said...

I love you, and your kids. They look SOOO innocent.

I'm sure the pie was great, and every mom at the party thought, (I remember when my kids did that).

Take care,

MOM

homealonemom said...

By the way, looking closer at the pictures on the wall, I think Alex is going to be a landscape artist. He even has stars in the heavens

AimeeTheSuperMom said...

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will get the ink off of the walls. Don't use it on their skin, though. It will leave chemical burns.

Welcome to motherhood. Have you seen my walls? My kids seem to think they're a blank canvas for creative works of art. Leaves me grumpy most of the time.

Brittany said...

Lol, Alex look like he was having so much fun! I hope all of the ink came off ok.

Adam Smith said...

You want to know something funny. Kate & Ty did this all over Kates room. Just one of the top 10 things on a kids must do list.

Make sure you frame off a little part for the laughs later.

Minnie

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I hope you were able to get that out. I babysit some boys that like to do the same thing. They took it off the walls with Nail Polish Remover. It worked real well. Try that!

Mark and Teandra said...

oh my GOODNESS!! they look TOTALLY INNOCENT! and chio's face! the marker is all over her face!! :-D I cant even imagine what must have been going through your mind when you went into the living room. man oh man! Mom mentioned the shirt he was wearing, "grandma's payback" and noted that SOMEBODY (named the teek face) used to color on her walls too :-) my oh my i couldnt believe the poetic justice! oh ma...sharpie...and LOOK AT CHIO'S FACE!! :-D oh my goodness. oh my GOODNESS!! the teek. i love you all so much!! *MUAH!* lots of love!

Keary said...

I don't think it was pride but inattention! The fearless leader will stop at nothing except mom's gentle warning.

Apparently he is still trying to learn the sound of the Holy Ghost.

Love Y'all

Diana said...

LOL!!! they look so cute and INNOCENT! love it!!!