Sunday, March 12, 2006

My Conversation Skills are Shot

The more that I get out and talk to people the more I realize that I am getting worse and worse at having conversations. I have come to the conclusion that the origin of this deterioration can be traced back to two factors: 1) my son and 2) my husband. This is why...all day long I talk to alex about nothing because he likes to here my voice; to do this I just say the first thing that comes to my mind and sometimes I just repeat the "words" that he uses (which I can't use in most of my conversations). As you have probably experienced, saying the first thing that comes to your mind is not beneficial. The other person that I talk to is Alex. In these conversations...well actually we have more debates than conversations (I knew that he was listening to too much talk radio) we usually end up in an animated "nu-ahh" "uh-huh" war; while children find it impressive that Alex can win any of these wars (and prides himself that he can) I am not impressed that I too have adapted this "talent". Adults don't seem to find a good "nu-ahh" a correct response to any incorrect statement..go figure.

Last night I went out to throw away some trash and since I was just going to be out there for a second I didn't wear a coat (bad idea) the lid was frozen to the dumpster as hard as I tried I couldn't get it open. When I got back in it took me 5 minutes to stop shivering....I can't wait for Texas sometimes.

3 comments:

Keary said...

I wish that Alex would be more of a conversationalist. Diana and I had many arguments which she always won, but we also had more conversations about this or that. Always something of importance ro us at the moment. "Why Nixon would do something like watergate" Diana would say and I would ask what is watergate? Then she would explain to me and I would fly from the seat of my pants. But at least we would have conversations. Tell him to grow up.

Kiki said...

I didn't mean to imply that Alex and I don't talk, I just meant that because he is the only person that I talk to I seem to be adopting his tactless manner.

Kristy said...

It gets worse as your kids get older. You start finding yourself using playground lingo or still using terms like "tummy" to your own Dr. or their made up words like "sgetti" instead of spaghetti to your adult friends. Don't worry though, if they have kids chances are they do it too!