Thursday, December 13, 2007

Kiki vs. Kiora

Nick names are big in my family and if any of you who know my dad know this; I pretty sure that he is incapable of calling a person by their given name. So when I was in first grade my dad came to my school to do a presentation and called me by Kiki and, much to my dismay back then, it stuck. Over the years I have gotten over the humiliation of having my nick name made public (meaning by second grade) and usually have my friends and family call me by kiki. That being said I never introduce myself as Kiki I just don't feel like that's my name. The closest that I'll come is "Hi, I'm Kiora but you can call me Kiki" and I'll say this to perhaps...a roommate that I foresee becoming a good friend until, at her insistence, I start to date her brother.

Why am I telling you this? I don't want any of you to feel like you have to call me Kiora, I don't care either way just whatever you prefer. I never thought that my husband was going to call me Kiki and I think that Alex has called me Kiora about three times in our marriage and it sounded awkward every time. I love my name but I also feel closer to the people who call me Kiki.

8 comments:

Keary said...

Names are interesting huh.
Love Dad

Ciria said...

Names are interesting. The other day when Zoe was watching the video of Chio she was so excited that she said... Naomi will be so excited to play with Chi (long pause she is trying to remember) she can play with Chido. I love how children say things with out really knowing what they are saying.

Anonymous said...

that clears that up! i like Kiora and Kiki! someone in our family thinks you like to be called Kiora...it was probably me:) I have a shorter name too, I can't even imagine being called Catherine, it's just not who I am. I'm Cathy, not Cath, or whatever name people may use under their breath, just Cathy...and you are Kiki! Got it.

Anonymous said...

I love you and your beautiful name.

Unknown said...

I don't think I've ever said Kiki in my whole life.

the_sanchez_fam said...

Then introduce yourself as Kiki!!! I can't call you Kiki, because I am use to Kiora because that is how you introduced yourself to me, so it seems wierd to me to start calling you Kiki all of the sudden. So I guess I'll just be out in the cold :( and not be as close to you, since you introduced yourself to me as Kiora.:(
HAVE A GOOD VACATION, SEE YA WHEN YOU GET BACK, KIORA!!!!:):):)

Desta said...

It takes me a while to get used to calling people by their widely-accepted nicknames. I've only recently converted to Jazz for Jasmine. And I like Keeks, myself. Where did that one come from?

Kristy said...

I was also told that you like to be called Kiora so I was a little confused. Up until the 2nd grade my nickname was "Dawnie" and I hated that. It was when Donny and Marie were big and people teased me that I had a boy name, so I was glad to be called Kristy, my given name. But Kiki it shall be!