Monday, January 14, 2008

Sometimes I Miss Utah


These pictures were taken by my sweet husband who says that every post needs a picture. He also wonders why we never have good pictures of me....this is why sweety, because these are what you take.

While I was sick I had a chance to read a bunch of books (reading when I'm sick keeps me resting instead of up and doing the thousands of things I should be doing) and it reminded me of one of the things that I miss about Utah. I got the books from Calixta and most of my sister-in-laws have read them. They are the Mormon (one or more characters is/are Mormon and they reference that frequently) novel love stories that you can find by the shelf full in Utah, but here if the library ever did get any (which I doubt) they were burnt and are no longer in circulation (crazy stuff like that happens here). The number one reason I love these types of books is because it's not necessary to read the ending; the guy always gets the girl and people rarely die (I usually do read the ending just in case though). I forgot how much I missed picking these books up on they way out of the library until I read some again. It's nice to know that there are crazy people in all wards (if all the books reference them there must be), that Mormons like a good love story as much as the next girl and that there are still clean books written out there. My favorite author in this genre (if it is actually a genre) is still Robert Farrell Smith (the Miracle of Forgetness followed closely by Baptists at Our Bar B Que[I don't know how to underline]). Possibly because I've met him but more likely because his books are so funny I make myself sick from laughing so hard every time I pick one up (I'm pretty sure that after the next kid I'm not going to be able to read them any more because my bladder gets weaker with each birth). So the point of this post? Who gets them next? Right now I'm lending them out to girls in my ward but if someone else has been craving this type of book let me know. Kristy, do you want to jump on the band wagon? So far it's been Cathy, Ciria, and Calixta.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you there. The LDS writers are fun to read. Did you ever read the Kerry Blair books? She is hysterical. She has a couple of mysteries too.

Kelsey

homealonemom said...

I think you should have photo opportunity days, on Alex's days off.

Tell him, NOW is a good time for pictures.

Kristy said...

There is very little better in this world than a good book to curl up with.

Anonymous said...

like movies i can only read a book with a happy ending...that is why i love LDS books. happy endings. sigh... love the all natural photos! you look great.

Keary said...

You look great in one, your hand looks great in the other(???). Once again there are a few people who always look good and you, fortunately, are one of these people.
Possibly you should keep all of the books you read and then start a library of LDS writers.
Love Dad